Alabama Basketball Officially Establishes Series of Neutral Venues Against Gonzaga in ‘Battle in Seattle’
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama – Coach Nate Oats and Alabama basketball have officially added another college basketball powerhouse to their 2021-22 schedule.
Although first reported in May, the Crimson Tide officially announced Wednesday morning that they would play a series of neutral sites against Gonzaga. The first game is scheduled to take place in October at Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle. The Bulldogs will travel to Birmingham to face Alabama in the 2022-23 season.
The event will be the first time the two teams will face each other on hardwood and will also be the first college basketball event in the new Seattle arena.
Alabama Track and Field has also announced that more details will be revealed at a later date. Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday July 16.
Here’s the full press release courtesy of Alabama Athletics:
Alabama and Gonzaga to meet in “Battle in Seattle” next season
Crimson Tide and Bulldogs to face off at Seattle’s Climate Pledge Arena
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama – The Alabama men’s basketball team will face Gonzaga next season in the Battle of Seattle, it was officially announced on Wednesday. This will be the first meeting between the two programs and the first college basketball event at the all-new Climate Pledge Arena, which is scheduled to open in October 2021. Gonzaga is expected to resume the game in 2022-2023 in Birmingham. Further details on this competition will be revealed at a later date. The Bulldogs finished the 2020-21 season with a final record of 31-1 overall, falling in the National Championship game against Baylor.
About the battle in Seattle:
- Back after a six-year hiatus
- The event, which debuted in 2003, brings the Gonzaga basketball program to Seattle to face a renowned opponent
- Throughout its history, the Battle in Seattle matches have been some of Washington State’s greatest college basketball games.
- The last time Battle in Seattle was played was in 2015
- The event drew its largest turnout that year when the Zags beat Tennessee, 86-79
- Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday July 16
- Fans can purchase tickets by visiting climatepledgearena.com